It is located at the highest point of Berlenga Grande, Berlengas, City of Peniche, West region, district of Leiria, Central Portugal
 
The Berlenga Lighthouse, or Farol Duque de Bragança, is located at the highest point of the Berlenga Grande island, a powerful granite block anchored a few miles from the coast, northwest of Cabo Carvoeiro.

The Berlenga Lighthouse is a quadrangular white masonry tower with attached buildings that is 29 meters high, with a red lantern and balcony.

The Lighthouse consists of a 29 m high, quadrangular, prismatic tower made of masonry and stone corners, with a balcony at the top, just built in 1841,

The Lighthouse consisted of a quadrangular masonry tower and stone corners, with a balcony at the top and the attached residences were successively built at later dates from 1851 to 1860.

The equipment consisted of a catoptric device, made up of sixteen Argand lamps running on olive oil and with parabolic reflectors giving white light, eclipses every 3 minutes and lightning every 10 seconds, it already had a rotational movement activated by a clockwork mechanism.

In 1758, the order for the construction of the lighthouse was given by Pombaline permit, and construction was completed in 1841.

It began operating the following year and nine years later the buildings attached to the lighthouse were built.

In 1897, a hyper-radiant Fresnel optical device was installed, one of two existing in Portuguese lighthouses, the other being at the Cabo de São Vicente Lighthouse, Algarve.

In 1985 this device was replaced by a rotating pedestal while the one in Algarve is currently still in operation.

Between 1897 and 1985, one of the two hyper-radiant Fresnel lenses that equipped Portuguese lighthouses was installed in this lighthouse and is now on display at the Pólo Museológico da Direcção de Faróis in Paço de Arcos.

The second is still installed and operating at the Cabo de São Vicente Lighthouse in the Algarve and is currently powered by photovoltaic panels.

The second is still installed and operating at the Cabo de São Vicente Lighthouse in the Algarve and is currently powered by photovoltaic panels.

In 1926 the system was electrified with the help of automated generators in 1985 and the energy source was replaced by solar panels in 2000 when the rotating system was also replaced.

In 1975 the lighthouse keepers were transferred to the Cabo Carvoeiro Lighthouse, in 2001 the radio beacon was deactivated as it was no longer of interest for navigation.

The National Defense and Environment Award, which aims to encourage good environmental practices in the Portuguese Armed Forces, was awarded to the Lighthouses Directorate for the application presented by the Portuguese Navy "Energia Solar no Farol das Berlengas", as the radio beacon was no longer of interest for navigation.