It is located in the parish of União das Freguesias de Cós, Alpedriz and Montes, in the municipality of Alcobaça, district of Leiria, Central Portugal
The Monastery was founded at the end of the 12th century or more probably at the beginning of the 13th century to receive women wishing to lead a holy life under the rule of Saint Benedict and the observations of the Cistercian.
The oldest mention of its existence dates back to 1241, the first abbess was called D. Maria Peres and is mentioned in a document dated 1337.
Initially the monastery remained in a modest position in terms of number of nuns, it experienced great development from 1530 onwards when it was renovated on the initiative of King D. João III and his brother Cardinal Infante D. Afonso, commendatory abbot of Alcobaça.
In the 16th century it underwent quite extensive renovations: a new chapel was built from which the Manueline portal existing at the east end of the monastic choir remains.
In the 17th century, the works carried out resulted in the current imposing church and the modernization of the cloister and dormitories.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the church received baroque-inspired finishes on the gilded altars, tiles and ceiling paintings.
The great golden period ended with the catastrophe of the 1755 earthquake, when the nuns were displaced for some time and later with the extinction of the Religious Orders (1834), looting and the disorderly occupation of convent spaces.
The temple is the only element of this complex that remains preserved, it is presented in a longitudinal form and extends to the nuns' choir.
The main portal facing south has a straight lintel frame surmounted by an architrave on pilasters surmounted by a triangular pediment interrupted by a royal coat of arms framed by back cartouches with the date 1671.
The interior of the Church consists of a single nave, a higher chancel and a monastic choir. The ceiling of the nave in a false barrel vault with painted wooden coffers is separated from the choir by a large arch filled with a grille.
The main chapel consists of a single section entirely covered in paneling and gilded panels with frames with screen coverings that culminate in the main altarpiece whose tribune features a sculptural group representing the Holy Family.
The nuns' choir with its wonderful 106-seat chair is covered in blue and white patterned tiles, with the Manueline portal in stonework with a polylobed arch ornamented with plant and heraldic motifs at the eastern top.
The sacristy is also covered in tile panels depicting episodes from the life of Saint Bernard and with a ceiling covered in wood.
The oldest mention of its existence dates back to 1241, the first abbess was called D. Maria Peres and is mentioned in a document dated 1337.
Initially the monastery remained in a modest position in terms of number of nuns, it experienced great development from 1530 onwards when it was renovated on the initiative of King D. João III and his brother Cardinal Infante D. Afonso, commendatory abbot of Alcobaça.
In the 16th century it underwent quite extensive renovations: a new chapel was built from which the Manueline portal existing at the east end of the monastic choir remains.
In the 17th century, the works carried out resulted in the current imposing church and the modernization of the cloister and dormitories.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the church received baroque-inspired finishes on the gilded altars, tiles and ceiling paintings.
The great golden period ended with the catastrophe of the 1755 earthquake, when the nuns were displaced for some time and later with the extinction of the Religious Orders (1834), looting and the disorderly occupation of convent spaces.
The temple is the only element of this complex that remains preserved, it is presented in a longitudinal form and extends to the nuns' choir.
The main portal facing south has a straight lintel frame surmounted by an architrave on pilasters surmounted by a triangular pediment interrupted by a royal coat of arms framed by back cartouches with the date 1671.
The interior of the Church consists of a single nave, a higher chancel and a monastic choir. The ceiling of the nave in a false barrel vault with painted wooden coffers is separated from the choir by a large arch filled with a grille.
The main chapel consists of a single section entirely covered in paneling and gilded panels with frames with screen coverings that culminate in the main altarpiece whose tribune features a sculptural group representing the Holy Family.
The nuns' choir with its wonderful 106-seat chair is covered in blue and white patterned tiles, with the Manueline portal in stonework with a polylobed arch ornamented with plant and heraldic motifs at the eastern top.
The sacristy is also covered in tile panels depicting episodes from the life of Saint Bernard and with a ceiling covered in wood.
The Classification of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Cos
The Church of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Cós was classified as a Property of Public Interest on January 2, 1946.
On March 29, 2017, a procedure was opened to expand the Monastery's classification to include the wing (in ruins) of the former dormitory known as "the Cardinal's" with a view to reclassifying the monastic complex as a national monument with the redenomination to “Church and part of the old dormitory and remaining dependencies of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Cós” whose draft decision was published on April 29, 2020.
The Church of Santa Maria de Cós with its former dormitory and facilities of the Monastery were officially declared a National Monument after a decision taken by the Council of Ministers held on April 22, 2021.
On March 29, 2017, a procedure was opened to expand the Monastery's classification to include the wing (in ruins) of the former dormitory known as "the Cardinal's" with a view to reclassifying the monastic complex as a national monument with the redenomination to “Church and part of the old dormitory and remaining dependencies of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Cós” whose draft decision was published on April 29, 2020.
The Church of Santa Maria de Cós with its former dormitory and facilities of the Monastery were officially declared a National Monument after a decision taken by the Council of Ministers held on April 22, 2021.

